These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to email@example.com.
John Lombardo was recently hired as the general manager for the Saybrook Point Inn & Spa in Old Saybrook, Conn.
1. What are you most looking forward to in your new role as general manager of Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? I thoroughly enjoy working with independent property owners and staff to take quality and performance to the next level. Saybrook Point Inn, Spa & Marina is a jewel when it comes to a luxurious travel experience on the Connecticut coast; I look forward to enhancing it with special events such as wine seminars and dinners, a walking art and history tour and getting to know guests at the main Inn, Fresh Salt (our award-winning restaurant), SANNO spa, marina and Three Stories guesthouse.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role?
Interestingly, I helped bring the first AAA Four Diamond Award to Saybrook Point Inn many years ago. In that regard, I am very familiar with our roots and feel the additional experiences I have acquired by managing properties from Maul to the Caribbean will only enhance our efforts.
3. What goals do you have in mind for the Saybrook Point Inn & Spa for this year and farther down the line? We have a very unique guesthouse called Three Stories, which offers eight luxury accommodations, each with its own historical story to tell. In addition to this, we are adding another six rooms next door. Introducing this new experience to our guests is one of my biggest goals. I also would like to incorporate additional community events to our overall guest experience.
4. How did you get into the hospitality industry? I have been in hospitality since I was 13 years old starting as a dishwasher and busboy. It is the only career I have ever known.
5. What do you enjoy most about the inn? I enjoy the one-on-one opportunities with staff and guests that an intimate luxury experience like Saybrook Point offers.
6. Any additional comments? Come see us!