These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to email@example.com.
Mark McMinn was recently hired as the vice president of sales at the Monterey County Convention and Visitors Bureau in Monterey, Calif.
1. What are you looking forward to in your new role as the vice president of sales at The Monterey County Convention and Visitors Bureau?
Representing this fantastic destination to the meetings and event industry and leading a fantastic group of sales and service professionals. Also I am thrilled to be a part of a team of destination marketing professionals who strive for excellence and are super creative and engaging.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role?
Having worked in diverse destinations, hotels and resorts gives me an encompassing perspective of our fantastically unique and incredibly inspiring destination!
3. What goals do you have in mind for this year and further down the line?
Elevating the awareness and telling the inspiring stories of Monterey County and how our destination can make a difference in a client’s meeting.
4. How did you get into the industry?
My mother worked in a hotel kitchen and told me I was to report to work one afternoon after school. I washed pots and pans and prepped a ton of veggies for the banquet chef and team. I am so grateful for that experience as it led me to opportunism beyond my wildest imagination.
5. What do you enjoy most about the hospitality industry?
Being of service as you make a difference in someone’s life. By virtue of what we do, we impact lives in immeasurable ways. Just knowing that you had something to do with changing the world makes it all that much more exciting and rewarding.